Fresh Kill: The Drunken 10n Burger

December 14, 2012 by Thomas Pluck

Drunken n10 burger

That thar’s the Drunken 10n Burger from Nicole’s Ten, an upscale gastropub in Randolph, New Jersey. They have 150 craft beers available; I sampled the excellent County Line IPA from Neshaminy Creek brewing, hoppy to an almost syrupy extreme, and the Muddy Creek Lager from Defiant Brewing, which had a nice chocolaty flavor, but needed to be a bit more defiant.

But let’s get to the burger. This one is a real fancy pants deal- black Wagyu beef and wild boar cooked in “cranberried old vine Zinfandel” and topped with Havarti cheese, maple pepper bacon, and a peach bourbon BBQ sauce. It was voted one of the top 10 burgers in New Jersey at the NJ Wine & Food Festival, and it belongs there. The beef, bacon and peach flavors work well together, though I couldn’t taste the herbs de provence or the “old vine Zinfandel.” The cheese coats the burger in a thin layer of creaminess. For me, a burger is all about the meat, and the “Kobe” black Wagyu cut with wild boar made for a firm yet tender and flavorful burger, even if it seemed a bit more medium than rare.

The sweet potato fries were creamy inside and crisp on the outside, probably the best I’ve had. Everyone else’s meals were well received- we shared a lobster mac ‘n cheese with whole claws and chunks, tasty crab wontons, and the fish in the grouper taco was perfect. Crisp, not overcooked, lots of flavor. The seafood pot pie looked insanely good, and Firecracker’s “Going Coastal” pasta was a delicious take on frutti di mare. Even the kids menu mac ‘n cheese was delicious.

The desserts were as crazy as you’d expect from such a place, the type of decadent, over the top food meant to make you forget that  the world uses your face for toilet paper, and damn it, you deserve a devil’s food cake on top of a cheesecake covered in frosting, because hard drugs are so gauche.

Anyway, good place for a burger and a beer if you have forty bucks to drop on them with tax & tip.

7 thoughts on “Fresh Kill: The Drunken 10n Burger

1. Les Edgerton says:

Man! That’s the most graphic photo I’ve ever seen of a heart attack at rest! But… it looks so damned good! Wondering if it’s PETA-endorsed…

2. Thomas Pluck says:

I think it’s made from PETA members.

• lesedgerton says:

Good one! I always wondered where Kobe beef came from… Now I know. Is this why you can’t buy Kobe brains? Tom, I just want to follow you around and find out where all these cool places are!

3. Just wanted you to know how much I’m enjoying these food reviews. I used to be a restaurant critic for the Ann Arbor Observer, so I know how hard it is to describe food.

• Thomas Pluck says:

Thanks, Margaret. My Italian side makes me Live to Eat (the Irish part handles the bibacity) so I’ve spent a lot of time learning to describe food.

• keith shaw says:

Thomas, Good Article. Have you been to another good restaurant/gastropub in Randolph, Morris Tap and Grill? They have a good selection of burgers. Voted one of the five best burgers by cbs or abc. Worth a trip.

• Thomas Pluck says:

yes! I had the baconeater at the Morris tap and grill. love it!

Comments are closed.

Thomas Pluck writes unflinching fiction with heart. He is the author of Blade of Dishonor, Steel Heart: 10 Tales of Crime & Suspense, and Denny the Dent. He edits anthologies to benefit PROTECT: The National Association to Protect Children, and serves as their social media editor. He hosts Noir at the Bar in Manhattan with Todd Robinson at Shade, and has been known to enjoy a pint of beer and a sloppy cheeseburger.

The Plucking News

Subscribe to The Plucking News to get plucked right in your inbox. You'll get blog posts and occasional premium newsletter-only content, and riches undreamed of.*
Click here to Subscribe.
*unless you dream of email updates. If so, you have my condolences
“You want interwoven plots running parallel between WWII and Right Now? You want violence mixed with romance? You want sacrifice, courage, and honor? Truth-based fable? Or maybe you just want hardcore-clean writing delivered at warp speed. Look no further—it’s all here.

-Andrew Vachss, author of Urban Renewal, Aftershock, and the Burke series.

Get some.

Noir at the Bar NYC

Noir at the Bar NYC

I host Noir at the Bar in Manhattan. Click the image to join the mailing list, to be notified of future events. If you want to read, email me via the Contact form.

Archive